TV Times at HRM!
At HRM we LOVE telly. It’s often the main topic of conversation in the office and there is usually a staff sweepstake going on for popular shows like The Great British Bake Off or Strictly Come Dancing.
This week is World Television Day – so we HR Medians needed no more reason to go all Gogglebox and share our favourite shows from this year so far…
Richard Fidler – Account Director
Nothing original but the continuation of three classics that I love.
- Peaky Blinders series 3
- Walking Dead
- Game of Thrones
Allie Dransfield – Senior Account Manager
- Cold Feet: It was great to see this classic show back!
- Doctor Foster: I really liked this second series – I was gripped to see what was going to happen.
- Strictly Come Dancing: One of my all-time faves and the class of 2017 certainly haven’t disappointed - I always keeeeep watching!
Simon Waller - Account Manager - Video and Creative
- Stranger Things: From the very first episode of the first season my wife and I were hooked. It’s the perfect mix of sci-fi, horror and comedy. It takes me back to my youth watching movies like The Goonies, ET and Stand By Me. Best show on telly in my opinion. They need to hurry up and make the third season - I’m getting withdrawal symptoms.
- Great British Bake Off: I love a bit of Bake Off. I must admit I was worried when it moved from the BBC to Channel 4 but I thought this last series was great. Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig worked so well together and, dare I say it, I prefer Prue Leith to Mary Berry!
- Question of Sport: I’ve always been a fan of Question of Sport. I like putting my sporting knowledge to the test plus Phil Tufnell makes me laugh so much. I do wish they’d bring back ‘What Happened Next?’ though.
Ellie Morrell – Account Manager
- Blue Planet: It leaves me in awe every week.
- Rick and Morty: I’ve only just found this genius show and can’t get enough of the crazy adventures across the universe.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – the new series is just some of the best comedy and this may be my all-time favourite show!
Hannah Johnson – Senior Account Executive
- Doctor Foster: I totally missed the boat with the first series so I binge watched it on iPlayer so I was ready for series two! I loved both series am keeping my fingers crossed for a third!
- The Sinner: This is a new series on Netflix but we sat down in one evening recently and watched four episodes in one go. It’s definitely a must-see – I’m hooked already.
- The Handmaid’s Tale: I’d not read the book so didn’t know what to expect, but I found this series really intriguing and the concept was fascinating. It’s definitely worth watching if you haven’t!
Jill Theobald – Copywriter and Content Manager
- Stranger Things 2: I loved the first series and renewed my Netflix subscription after my free trial ended purely for series 2!
- The Handmaid’s Tale: One of my favourite Margaret Atwood books, the TV adaptation did not disappoint and, sadly, many its themes are still very relevant today.
- Line of Duty: Consistently gripping, great acting – plus my quip about the ‘street art’ tunnel was my most popular social media post ever after the official Line of Duty account retweeted me, getting me 240+ likes!
Joe Bamford – Account Executive
All Marvel series unfortunately, love a good spin-off!
- Daredevil: For me still the best of the Marvel series and spin-offs, and I’m pretty sure this was one of the first. Plus it includes what must be one of the best action scenes featured in a series in recent times in episode 2 of the first series.
- Jessica Jones: As you can see, there’s a theme developing here – Jessica Jones is (almost) as awesome as Daredevil for me. An all-round great series.
- Iron Fist: Another Marvel series to seal the deal, I’d rank this alongside Jessica Jones – it’s not quite as action-packed as the previous two and sometimes harder to follow, but more than worth seeing through to the end.
Another thing to note is that the way all of Marvel’s series link together is also pretty cool!
Laura Metcalfe – Account Executive
- Twin Peaks: The Return: I’ve been a massive fan of Twin Peaks for years so was obviously really excited for its return this year – it was everything I could have ever wanted.
- GLOW: Loosely based on a ‘real’ show from the 80s about female wrestlers, GLOW (AKA Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) is a really fun show following a group of women as they learn the sport for a cable channel. I watched it in a day!
- Stranger Things 2: Stranger Things combines everything I love – 80s films, pop culture references, science fiction and Winona Ryder. Absolute perfection.
Izzy Buffin – Junior Account Executive
- 13 Reasons Why: Was hooked on this series because it portrayed such a strong message.
- The Sinner: Completely addictive and think I watched the first three episodes in one night.
- Impractical Jokers: Absolutely hilarious, laughing out loud comedy.
Cruize Delaney – Digital Consultant
- POWER: Originally introduced to Power because one of my favorite musicians, 50 cent, produces the series. I haven't turned back and have seen every episode.
- Rick & Morty: If I'm watching an animated series it's either because it's nostalgic, or full of dark humour. Rick and Morty provides both of these.
- Narcos: As a fan of films like The Godfather, American Gangster and Goodfellas, Narcos is a Colombian cartel TV show equivalent of my big screen favourites.